Free Bookkeeping Resources
We have put together the most popular and useful resources, tools and information to assist you and your business. Whether you are looking for the most up-to-date tax tables or want to download free and essential bookkeeping resources, you have come to the right place!
SKM’s Business Resource Centre
There is SO much to do in business, where do you start? Check out our new Business Resource Centre that covers from starting up business to selling!
General tools and resources that may assist your business needs.
- Hire The Right Bookkeeper – A bookkeeper is a bit like a GP – there’s one on every corner but great ones are hard to find. And when you do find one, you should never let them go.
- Employee/Contractor Decision Tool – You can use the Employee/contractor decision tool to work out if your worker is an employee or contractor for tax and super purposes.
- ABN Lookup – Check an ABN is valid as well as the GST registration status.
- ATO Due Dates – Keep track of when your next lodgement is due. Don’t forget, we are eligible to provide you with lodgement and payment extension dates. These are generally* a one month extension for time to lodge and pay your activity statements.
- Teamviewer Download – Let’s connect! Teamviewer will allow us access (after you providing the credentials) to remotely login to your computer and assist with any queries.
GST/PAYG/Fuel Tax Credits
You can register for GST, PAYG or Fuel Tax Credits through your Tax or BAS agent. Alternatively, you can register via the Business Portal or by calling the Australian Taxation Office on 13 28 66
- GST – Understand how GST works, when to register for GST and other useful information
- PAYG – Understand your obligations, payments you need to withhold from and other useful information.
- Fuel Tax Credits – Check your eligibility, calculate your fuel tax credits, view the current rates and other useful information.
Useful forms and information for those businesses with one or more employees.
- Find my award – Use this 3-step form to help find the right award that you’re covered by.
- Pay Calculator – The Pay Calculator calculates base pay rates, allowances and penalty rates (including overtime).
- Super Guarantee Contributions Calculator – The calculator tool displays your SG calculation. It will provide sub-totals of the SG amounts payable to each superannuation fund and the total of all SG contributions payable.
- Superannuation Standard Choice Form – This form is to offer eligible employees their choice of super fund. You must fill in the details of your nominated super fund, also known as your default fund, before giving the form to an employee.
- Tax File Number Declaration – To be provided to eligible employees to determine the amount of tax to be withheld from payments based on the ATO’s PAYG withholding tax tables.
- Employee Details Form – A useful form to record your employee details on.
- NES Introduction – An overview of the National Employment Standards (NES). NES are 10 minimum employment entitlements that are set out in the Fair Work Act 2009. The NES have to be provided to all employees which is done so by providing them with the Fair Work information sheet.
- Fair Work Information Statement– This statement must be provided to all employees upon commencement of employment.
- Payroll Tax – Payroll tax is a state tax calculated on wages paid, or payable, by employers and applies in all Australian states and territories. Select your state below to be taken to the relevant site for Payroll Tax to view current rates and thresholds:
- Australian Capital Territory
- New South Wales
- Northern Territory
- South Australia
- Western Australia
Employers with an expected payroll above $550,000 per year should check registration requirements and payroll tax rates in their state.
- Tax Tables as below:
The tax tables provided below are for regular PAYG withholding wages only. For any variations to PAYG withholing please find your correct tax table here.
- Additional Resources – For additional templates and guides that can assist you in the workplace including:
- Employing staff
- Payslips and record keeping
- Hours of work
- Balancing work and family
- Managing performance
- Managing underperformance
- Ending Employment
Useful apps for business owners.
- ATO – If you’re an individual taxpayer, small business owner or self-managed super fund trustee, you can access relevant tax and super information and tools in one place.
- Xero – Work while you’re on the move with the Xero mobile app. Reconcile, send invoices, capture expenses and look up contact details wherever you are.
- Record My Hours – The Record My Hours app makes it quick and easy for employees to record and store the hours they work, plus other information about their employment.
- MyBizPlan – Developing a business plan is one of the most valuable activities you can undertake. A good business plan provides a roadmap for success, gives you a sense of control over your future and is essential to attract funding.
- MarketMyBiz – A successful marketing plan can help you reach your target market, boost your customer base and, ultimately, increase your bottom line. It also helps you develop products and services that meet the needs of your target market.
- MyBizShield – Having an emergency management and recovery plan can help your business recover from unpredictable situations. Whether it’s a bushfire or burglary, emergencies can disrupt your business and prevent it from operating.
Would you like to receive your no obligation free quote on the services we can offer you? Simply complete this form and we will be in touch shortly. Please note, this form will take around 10 minutes to complete (depending on your requirements)
Would you like to chat via phone? You can book a call at a time that is convenient to us both here.
Perhaps you would prefer to speak via email? Simply provide your details below and we will be in touch.